Animation Project Evaluation

Looking back over this experimental project I’ve learned a lot of new skills which I am sure I will continue to broaden and utilize in the future. Although challenging at times, I’ve found it very enjoyable and a great way to explore new ideas and themes within my work.

I particularly liked working with Luke Monet as he is very easy to work with and comes up with some very innovative ideas which were very interesting to work on. It also enabled me to challenge my coding skills by doing something I had never done before.

I also liked animating by hand and doing walk cycle test sketches as it was a great way to enhance my animation skills in general and further understand the motion of animals and characters. Learning about Blender and motion capture was also very useful and greatly broadens my knowledge base within animation.

I am slightly disappointed that I run out of time on this project to explore and acheive all of the plans I had, however through this I now have projects that I will work on in the future, such as my neon logo sign, in order to enhance my portfolio.


3 Sided Cube Android Course: Week 4

This week on the course we learned how to get data from the BBC news stream as the app loads and then cache the data so that it is not being constatly downloaded from the web.

main activity cachemanager apimanager

This is quite a complicated process as it involves using an API manager in order to get the data efficiently. We then added this into the list view we made earlier in order to create an automatically updating list of stories with headlines and summaries of text.

Animation Project: Scribble Camera Tracking

Screen Shot 2014-04-01 at 17.16.13 Screen Shot 2014-04-01 at 17.19.47 Screen Shot 2014-04-01 at 17.50.31

The next thing I wanted to explore in this project was integrating computer graphics and video footage. Following on from my Bete Noir idea from earlier of animating a scribble, I first modelled a 3D scribble by bending a cylinder using the techniques I picked up during starting my name logo.

I was unsure as to what material to assign to it as most that I used looked quite unnatural. In the future I will try and make some textures to use as a base, such as a texture of pencil, and tapering of the cylinder in order to make it look like more like a pencil or pen stroke.

Screen Shot 2014-04-01 at 18.36.01

Screen Shot 2014-04-01 at 19.20.12 Screen Shot 2014-04-01 at 18.50.02 Screen Shot 2014-04-01 at 18.47.43

Next was to track the movement of my hand in the video in order for the scribble ball to follow this movement. This proved to be quite challenging as the quality of the video wasn’t that good so using a better quality camera in the future would be a good idea.  I then linked the movement of the camera to the ball so it would move along with the movement of my hand in the 3D space.

Screen Shot 2014-04-01 at 19.33.29 Screen Shot 2014-04-01 at 21.07.53

I added some extra movement and rotation to the ball so it looked like it actually was in the hand instead of sitting on top of it. Then I rendered the sequence out and layered it on top of the original footage. Unfortunately I messed up during rendering, so the background of the 3D ball sequence was white. As I did not have enough time I was unable to render it again. Fortunately I could lower the opactiy of this layer so the video underneath could still be shown through.

Here’s a link to the final result.

Overall I think it worked alright. The tracking of the movement could have been improved by adding more points. I could have also spent more time on the animation as I was slightly rushing this in order to see the result, with more time it would have looked more effective.

In the future I would also have used a video clip with a bit more motion as that would probably make the animation more impressive. However through doing this I now know some of the basics of motion tracking in Blender, which is a new area for me and one which I would like to explore.